Saturday, May 06, 2006

Fondant!!!

Last night I bought some pastel sparkling sweets in a candy store in Nice; they reminded me of the candies that our Grandmother Gigi used to bring us. I had always wondered what they were. Now I know they were fondant. They had that same crystalline sugar sparkle on the surface; they came in assorted flavors and colors, each with its own decorative addition on the top. They were in only one shape, round with flat bottoms. The lavender ones had candied violets on top; the orange, candied peel caught in a loop of fondant. On the inside they were white. Another mystery of Kaap's Candy solved. Am I going to make them myself? Get a grip!

1 comment:

J.N. said...

It's so nice to hear stories about GiGi and the sugar violets. I remember.
I want more stories...