Wednesday, August 02, 2006

caboose

here's the front porch fashion runway. and that is the inner lining of dad's fedora crowning my head. the front of 918 had two landing strips of concrete that made a great perch to view all the coming and going. and it was a very active household with many visitors, always welcomed warmly.

being the baby of our family was like being the caboose of a very fast moving train. i could often get a glimpse of the engine ahead when we were on a fast curve but from my vantage point, i could only go along with the momentum and direction we were headed. sometimes we'd get off track, sometimes go in for repairs, and come out for a smoother ride. it was ALWAYS exciting and unpredictable, not to mention, a little nerve-wracking. i sometimes sucked my thumb when feeling insecure, unsure. where are you?

5 comments:

J.N. said...

nice pic, Botz. It's too damn hot here on the east coast. Heat index 110 today...our apartment with the AC on is 87.
I am cooking alive.

J.N. said...

you were always a big thumb sucker...gotta love you baby girl.
the hat is so over-the-top, oh daddy dear.

Ellen McCormick Martens said...

I think that is the plastic, elastic ring that Mom put on our heads when she washed our hair in the kitchen sink. It kept the shampoo out of our eyes.

It does resemble Dad's rain cover for his hat though!

J.N. said...

don't know what it was but I know I had wanted to wear it.
It still looks so cool.
When mom washed our hair, didn't we all have long hair?
I remember the day she cut my hair short. I felt like a boy...I pranced out to the field and felt quite free and new.

botz said...

it just might be a shower cap-ring. looks likt a halo!
washing my hair was a real chore, it was so long (i could sit on it!). so finally, mom bought this new product, but didn't sudz up. no bubbles. so i used the entire bottle (we never used conditioner until i was a pre-teen). ususally, i would suffer as sisters would take turns trying to untangle my impossible hair.