Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Boxing and Wrestling

Dad enjoyed watching boxing and wrestling on television in the 50s, and I would watch it with him. I slowly became more and more repulsed by the violence of boxing and the mock violence of wrestling. I remember seeing "Gorgeous George", a platinum blonde wrestler who used to throw his hairpins into the audience as mementoes. I saw Rocky Graziano and other fighters.

I am not sure why these activities are any better than dog fighting, cock fighting or bull baiting. I would not ban them, because these people are fighting voluntarily, but I find it repugnant in the extreme.

1 comment:

Poet said...

Well, I also shared boxing and wrestling with our Father, however, I went to the matches with Dad. I came away with a tolerance and, yes, an attraction for those sports. Dad had a way of making going places (with him) into fun. As a long-term result I love all the sports that Dad loved. POET