Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Golden Age of Popsicles

During the 50s, there were popsicles that no one tastes any more ... sadly. Popsicles were also joined two to a pack. You had to split them apart, leaving a jagged edge with a different texture from the ultra smooth outer surfaces.

If you are an ancient one, you may remember:
Rootbeer
Blueberry
Banana
Lime

Maybe you even remember other flavors I have forgotten. Now I go to get a package of popsicles and it is Orange, Grape, and Cherry. I guess those were the most popular flavors. Now they have Tropical flavors, too, but that is not rootbeer!

4 comments:

J.N. said...

I remember sucking all the color out one half way down causing my lips to turn blue and my teeth to chatter with the cold.
I remember a blue color and what pray tell was that flavor- was it blueberry?
While reading your post the taste of banana and root-beer lingered on my tongue's memory.

Poet said...

Sooo glad Robyn remembered sucking the color out -- remember the orange flavor? The blue was raspberry. I had forgotten that there were two popsicles to a wrapper.
The 50's were sugar laden for me.
Now I'm an addict at the age of ... I can't remember.
Poet

Ellen McCormick Martens said...

I think the blue popsicles were just BLUE FLAVOR ===8O

Young Geoffrion said...

I remember having popsicle melt always dribbling down my chin in summer - always banana if I could get it. I once bought American red white and blue popsicles at the most remote dry goods store at the end of a portage between inaccessible lakes in Northern Ontario. We put our canoe by the side of a dirt road and half-devoured, half-drank them in a sort of ecstatic relief.
Did you ever challenge each other to put an entire popsicle in your mouth? Could you eat a popsicle without ever biting it? Did you ever collect all the sticks and send away for a prize? Even now the memory conjures up blue lakes, tall pine trees oozing pitch, massive granite shores, hot wooden pavilions where one danced on summer nights, sailboats bestilled on calm water and no wind, wet hair and puckered fingers after a swim, and delicious headaches from the cold!
Thank you for this window on your collective lives. What a delight to read!