Sunday, January 13, 2008

Five Sisters, A Playlet in Progress

FIVE SISTERS
By Ellen McCormick

On a darkened stage, five women are seated on chairs a few feet apart, facing the audience; each has a phone.
From right to left, their names are Susan, who is dressed in office wear, Carrie, also in office wear, Rachel, in jeans and brightly-colored T-shirt, Roxie, in all black, and Megan, who is wearing loose cotton clothing that has a third-world look. All appear ethnicallly Irish.


ACT ONE

SCENE ONE: Woman #1 (Susan), #3 (Rachel) are spotlighted. The others remain in the dark.

Susan: I can’t believe she’s doing it again! I called the home on Friday, and they said he was fine!

Rachel: Yes, and she told me she could barely sleep on Friday night, and that she packed a black dress just in case!

Susan: Oh my God. What excuse did she give you?

Rachel: She said she didn’t want us to worry.

Susan: But he’s ninety-five years old! And we live a lot farther away than she does. If this had been fatal, she would have been there already and we wouldn’t even have a day’s notice to get airline tickets. I don’t understand why she does this. Is this a control thing, or what?

Rachel: I don’t know, but it bothers me, too. I told her that from now on I want to know immediately if something happens. She said she would call me earlier next time.

Susan: She has agreed to that before, and now she’s keeping us in the dark again!

Rachel: Well, I have to call Roxie and Megan. I love you. I’ll call you later.

(Stage darkens. Spotlight on #3, punching in numbers, then on #4, who picks up phone)

Roxie: Hello?

Rachel: Hi Roxie. Carrie just called me to let me know that Dad is in the hospital with pneumonia, and he’s in intensive care. He’s doing okay.

Roxie: When did he get sick?

Rachel: I guess the nurse noticed his coughing on Friday night, and got him to the hospital immediately. He’s also got congestive heart failure, and they were really worried. Carrie went up there yesterday morning, and of course, Mom has been at the hospital with him.

Roxie: Why didn’t Carrie call us sooner?

Rachel: She says she didn’t want us to worry.

Roxie: Yeah, right. I guess she will call us one day to say that he was buried two days ago, and tell us where to send cards.

Rachel: Whoa. I didn’t think of it that way. Listen, I still need to call Megan, so I’ll have to let you go, okay?

Roxie: Okay. Love you.

(#3 punches in numbers, spotlighted. Phone rings for a few times, then we hear a voice machine greeting with #5’s voice)

Megan’s machine: Hello, it’s Megan. Please leave a message!

Rachel: Hi Megan, it’s Rachel. Sorry to call you so early, but Carrie called me this morning to let me know that Dad is in St. Joe’s with pneumonia. She says he’s doing okay now. He got sick on Friday night, and she went up there Saturday morning. That’s all I know now. Talk to you later. Bye.

(#3 goes dark, #1 lights up, dialing. #2 lights up, answering)

Carrie: Hello?

Susan: Hello Carrie? Rachel told me that Dad is in the hospital with pneumonia. I know you know that I want to be called immediately when something like this happens.

Carrie: Well, if you were in touch with Mom and me more often, you would have known.

Susan: Oh, is that what this is about? That I don’t talk to you as much as you would like? I had hoped that you would call sooner. I asked you to do that last time. And by the way, I did call Parkside Village on Friday, in case you think I am not calling the home enough.

Carrie: Susan, you know I wouldn’t keep it from you, except I was so worried, and I didn’t want to call anyone until I knew what was going on.

Susan: I don’t need you to protect me from reality, thank you. Next time, PLEASE call me immediately.

Carrie: Of course! Well, Mom is almost ready to go to the hospital. I’d better let you go.

Susan: Okay, goodbye.

Carrie: Bye.

(#2 hangs up, goes dark. #1 dials)

Susan: Hello, could you give me the nurse’s station in Intensive Care please?

(pause)

Susan: Hello, my name is Susan Baker. I am calling about my father, Tom Gallagher, in intensive care. Could you tell me his condition? (longish pause) Thank you. Please give him a message for me? Tell him Susan is thinking about him and sends him her love. Okay, thank you. What is your name? (pause) Okay, Heather, thanks again. Goodbye.

3 comments:

botz said...

o boy, enj...could be tricky...could be really dynamic. keep going. love, megan

Ellen McCormick Martens said...

I found this in my computer files ... it is from years ago, and will probably stay just as it is.

J.N. said...

sure sounds like a slice of life.
hope you are feeling better.
xoxox
Rob
on my 60th birthday!
it's good we grow them old.