Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Dark mirror in 918

As the witch’s procession disappeared towards a big green house with the number’s 918 over the door, I could hear tar-baby's voice talking to white dog, “Hey, Cinderella let’s take a break and sniff our way to the neighbors...”
I walked to the door as tar-baby and cinderella ran off. Witch had passed through the door without opening it. As I grasped the tarnished brass handle the house seemed to lean in towards me and the door opened. Pink and blue heat lightening peppered the edges of the night sky. Fireflies in great numbers swam around my head. They were sticking together and making letters in the air. I couldn’t read the words that the letters formed at first: ‘you wlil fnid the cyrastl key in the lienn clesot dno’t let wtich see you’. Had I dreamed this about this crystal key? The fireflies dispersed. I entered the front hall, stopped at a small vestibule table and struggled to open it’s drawer. White gloves sprung out, some of them cotton others misshaped kid, I put on a pair of soft gloves that fit well, I inserted the pearl buttons into the buttonhole at my wrist. Above the table I noticed a large dark mirror where my image shimmered. My face in the mirror was mouthing something to me that I didn’t understand, “I can’t hear you,” I whispered. The house seemed to get very quiet as if listening to me and my reflection stopped moving and stared over my left shoulder.

3 comments:

botz said...

spooky...

J.N. said...

are you scared?

botz said...

yeah, baby. whats over your left shoulder?