Friday, April 28, 2006

... And MORE Boulanger's

Several items:

The Boulangers used to greet me with "Comment allez-vous?" each day. I thought it must be spelled "Come on tolly voo", which is a pretty good phonetic spelling. They were from Belgium. They had two daughters, Avis and Ardis. Ardis and I made our own Katy Keen paper dolls together for a while, upstairs from the store. Katy Keen was very fashionable.

Also, in front of the store on the pavement were blobs of ... ABC GUM! Already Been Chewed ... I do not know who among the many children of the block suggested we peel those flattened, gritty pieces of gum from the pavement and chew them, but I did it. Yes, very gritty. Children are not deterred by the concept of germs.

1 comment:

botz said...

i can feel the texture as you speak! some pieces still had a smidgen of sweetness...