Saturday, April 01, 2006

"The Block"

While the voice of Petula Clark sang through my turquoise & white tran-sister radio...

"When you're alone and life is making you lonely
You can always go...downtown
When you've got worries, all the noise and the hurry
Seems to help, I know...downtown
Just listen to the music of the traffic in the city
Linger on the sidewalk where the neon signs are pretty
How can you lose?"

I was yearning to be on this block.
So much happened.




That song always made Mom sad.
She would heave a sigh, "Oh, Berta..."
As I'd start off in my mod clothes- looking so smart and sexy.
I expected a lot from that block!

3 comments:

Ellen McCormick Martens said...

In later years Mom would tell me that the song "Downtown" made her think of me (could it be that she got us confused?)and that it made her sad . . . why I cannot imagine. Downtown was interesting in those days. Now it is not that bad, but for a while it was urban renewed into a wasteland.

J.N. said...

Memory is such a fickle friend. I wish that mom never was sad cuz of me...
she often lamented my arrival.
Now you know why I looked so sad.
xoxo

botz said...

mom projected her dreams onto you enjah. she wasnted you to go to the bright lights of new york and be the artist she couldn't.